The Department of Provincial and Local Government Affairs is established by the Organic Law on Provincial and Local Government (OLPLLG) is the lead central agency that performs performs an important role as the mother department to all Provincial and Local-level Governments in the country by facilitating and coordinating the provision of the necessary support to enhance their effective functioning.
Public Service Vision
High performing, ethical and values based leaders in the public sector driving the future of Papua New Guinea.
To provide the vital link between the National Government, Provincial Government, Local-level Government and Municipal Authorities, while empowering and building their capacity to serve the people through sound mentoring, capacity development, monitoring, coordination and partnership activities.
- Living a personal and professional life consistent with Christian principles; social norms, family expectations and applies it to the compliance of Public Service policies and procedures.
- DPLGA staff have steadfast adherence to moral and ethical principles both in their private and public life in a manner that attracts respect, trust and a sense of dependability.
- Every staff should develop attitude of being responsible and answerable to their work
- A disciplined approach to work
- Everyone contributes, every single staff member is critical
- Managers and Supervisors lead by example
- Respect for all irrespective of position, ethnicity, gender, or level of skill
- Promote gender equality and eliminate discrimination in our organization and our work with stakeholders
- DPLGA staff possesses and practice a capacity for deeper level of understanding of issues involving discernment, intuition, experience and maturity.
- Having the ability to inspire and encourage action from their peers to overcome challenges for the advancement of the people of PNG
The Department’s mandate comes from the Organic Law on Provincial Governments and Local-level Governments (Organic Law) as well as other legislations assigned to the Minister by the National Executive Council.
The preamble to the Organic Law establishes the provincial and local-level governments as legitimate governments within the three tiers of government in Papua New Guinea. It also stipulates that the key rationale for this division of responsibility is to provide basic services in water, health, education, transportation, communication, accommodation and social order through self-reliance; where each and every citizen of the nation is given the opportunity to participate and benefit in development. It clearly states that the provincial governments and local-level governments were established and given the responsibility for improved service delivery.
The Organic Law also provides for PLLSMA, the provincial administrators’ and the District Administrators’ responsibilities for monitoring and coordinating the implementation of the national policies; building the capabilities of staff in the provinces, and also developing their capacities to operate as governments efficiently and effectively. With the recent review done to the Organic Law on Provincial Governments & Local-level Governments (OLPGLLG), the major issues and challenges experienced in the provision of public goods and services to rural communities will be highlighted and the impediments to service delivery rectified. The review will deliver fiscal and political autonomy, introduce enabling legislations to facilitate service delivery and remove legal obstacles.
What We Do?
From our mandate, the department as come up with it’s core business to support it’s clients. These include:-
- Provide policy and legislative support to provincial governments and local-level governments in line with the Minister’s statutory responsibilities
- Coordinate, monitor and report on the governance performance of Provincial Governments and Local-level Governments
- Help build the capacity of Provincial Governments and Local-level Governments
- Undertake special projects related to Provincial Governments and Local-level Governments as required by the National Government
Our Clients & Their Expectations
Our clients are:
- The Minister & Vice Minister for Inter-Government Relation (IGR),
- The National Executive Council (NEC),
- The National Agencies
- The Central Agencies Coordinating Committee (CACC),
- Provincial Local Level Services Monitoring Authority (PLLSMA) Secretariate,
- The Provincial Governments & Provincial Administrations,
- Districts, LLGs, National Agencies,
- Development Partners and others.
Their Expectations are;
- National Government ‐ develop policy guidelines for government to guide and assist implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of performances of government policies; be a leader to promote and encourage dialogue between governments key partners; represent government on behalf of Minister.
- Provincial Governments ‐ be a mother department to assist and promote their interests; provide support to encourage and enhance performance; monitor and evaluate performance and suggest improvements; provide policy advice and guidance.
- Districts ‐ Implement government policies and effect service delivery working with the Open Members, National Agencies, Provincial Administration and the Communities.
- LLGs ‐ provide support to encourage performance; provide policy advice and guidance; promote LLG plans and seek support from key partners.
- National Government Departments – contribute to improving service delivery by bringing the provincial perspective and needs into policy dialogue and implementation arrangements.
- Others ‐ create awareness on government policies; encourage and promote community participation.